Joint Finishing with Gypsum Joint Filler, Level Q2
1 fuori da 1
In this video we demonstrate how to finish the plasterboard joints after taping them. According to Eurogypsum’s* classification this is the prime level of surface finishing – also called Q2**.
Here are the steps we followed:
To be able to continue with level Q2 – to align the joint area with continuous transition to the board surface, the absolutely necessary requirement is the first layer, level Q1 to be completely dried (this could take up to 24 hours).
Pour water into a clean container and add FUGA gypsum joint filler to it, so that 1-2 mm of the water remains above the level of the gypsum mixture (about 500 ml of water per 1 kg of product). Wait for the mixture to settle for approximately 5 minutes, then stir by hand with a trowel until a smooth and homogeneous mixture is formed. Once the mixture is ready, we can proceed to filling the joints.
Exact instructions for working with FUGA can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HE65Vybgc
Level Q2 can be completed either with the dry gypsum mixtures - FUGA and SATEN, or with the ready to use compound - FUGA & FINISH.
Place enough of the compound on the trowel to completely fill the joint and press well to ensure thin continuous transitional layer aligning the join area to the board surface. The strip mixture on both sides of the joint should be approx. 200 mm along its entire length.
*Eurogypsum – European federation of the gypsum product manufacturing industry. Developed and established, the 4 levels of quality finish classification for plasterboard cladding aims to provide clear definitions thus helping to reduce subjective judging of the end result.
**Level Q2 fulfills the basic requirements for finishing of walls and ceilings. This quality level’s basic objective is to align the joint area and to ensure a continuous translation to the plasterboard surface.
Quality level Q2 includes:
- Completely dried basic filling level Q1
- Plastering and widening of the aligned joint area to achieve a smooth gradual transition between the wallboards, as well as sanding of those areas if necessary
Quality Level Q2 is suitable base for:
- Medium to coarse structured textured wallpaper
- Matt emulsion paints or paints with other fillers, often applied with basic paint roller.
- Decorative topcoat and finishes with thickness of at least 1mm.
- Quality level Q2 does not ensure that marks and spots under the finishing layer will not be visible, particularly under bright or shallow light. These effects can be reduced by continuing with the next level Q3, which includes a thorough coating of the entire plasterboard surface.
- If the finishing level of the surface is not specified, then by default quality level Q2 is accepted as sufficient.